[vsnet-alert 10296] Re: VY Aqr outburst!

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Jun 30 12:12:37 JST 2008

> That superoutburst was detected on 1990 Jun. 30. However,
> the last recorded one started on 1993 Apr. 25.

   Oops, these outbursts fell between the gap of pre-VSNET and
VSNET era.  Extracted observations from IAUCs at the time:

(IAUC 5778)
AQRVY 19930424.59 <135 WAl
AQRVY 19930424.70 <130 Jon
AQRVY 19930425.57 100 WAl
AQRVY 19930428.73 103 Jon
AQRVY 19930429.68 103 Jon

(IAUC 5979)
AQRVY 19940422.72 <130 Jon
AQRVY 19940423.715 113 Jon
AQRVY 19940423.751 115 Jon

WAl: W. Albrecht

> Btw, why was a copy of your report posted to wzsge at yahoogroups.com?
> VY Aqr is not a WZ Sge-type dwarf nova but an SU UMa star

   We can't yet explain the difference between historical records
(8 and 9 mag) of outbursts and recent ones.  The object may have
behaved differently (WZ Sge-like at times?) at different epochs.