[vsnet-alert 10409] Re: [baavss-alert] UZ Boo

arne arne at aavso.org
Mon Aug 4 21:52:44 JST 2008

Roger Pickard wrote:
> Hi Gary,
> I would suggest a miss-id as I did when I first observed this star a
> few years ago.   His measured mag agrees reasonable well with the star
> incorrectly labeled in Guide (and many other places I suspect).  I
> have it at less than ~16.1V at 20080803.92.
> Cheers,
> Roger

I calibrated this field at USNO-FS in 2005/2006 at the request of
Doug Welch.  You can find the calibration file at
ftp://ftp.aavso.org/public/calib/uzboo.dat
The astrometry is referenced to UCAC, and the variable is shown at
  14:44:01.22  +22:00:54.8 (J2000)
with errors in the 200mas range due to the faintness (19.7mag).
I could improve upon the astrometry if needed, but the SDSS
astrometry is nearly identical and so further improvement is
not really necessary.

We had a discussion about this star on BAAVSS-alert on May 10 because
of another observer who had misidentified the star.  Taichi Kato
asked at that time for the coordinates of the wrong star; they are
  14:43:55.90  +22:01:23.5 (J2000)
and point to a star with V=13.13 (B-V) = 0.87

While UZ Boo is correctly listed in VSX and plotted properly
with VSP, we are also modifying the VSP
chart plotting software to place comments regarding potential
misidentifications like this at the bottom of the chart.  In the
case in question, Jean Luc appears to have used a recent AAVSO
chart, and gives an error that would eliminate a false ID with
the nearby star, so I have no answer as to the submitted magnitude.
We'll check with him and see.
Arne