[vsnet-alert 10764] Re: re Spectrum of Nova Car 2008: an Fe II classical nova

bydra at Safe-mail.net bydra at Safe-mail.net
Mon Dec 1 11:09:30 JST 2008

Okay, ta!

I suppose with something this bright it'll need the amateurs to do astrometry.

Well, just in case, though I'm sure other's have noticed, here's a possible reason the astrometry needs a bit of priority :-

http://hla.stsci.edu/hlaview.html and enter

11 13 54, -61 14 00 r=.02

at the search input.

Hubble images of the surrounding field, from the LO-LAT survey, and some others.  There're several servers where you can get at these data, the above is via the Hubble Legacy Archive.

The above search returns a 2 Pi in the Sky pixels (ie 2 x 36 arcsecs) size search about the Pi in the Sky position.

The area isn't covered completely, but with luck...

The MIRVIS stuff is centred near where Johnson V is, passband wise, but a much wider bandwidth (pretty much a no filter image it seems), any progenitor in the field could likely have some photometry done on it for folk who know how to use IRAF for such.  It seems some MIRVIS stuff is centred on 720 nm though, which I'm not too clear on, but that's roughly midway between Rc and Ic, with a bandwidth from about half a micron (mid V) to a micron.

But if we were all really lucky, it'd be the G750L fields the thing lay in.  Slitless spectra.  The G750L spectra have a range from 524 to 1027 nm, centred on 775 nm, and are apparently low resolution, and I've no idea how you recognise which star is which from those images, ie to tie 'em into positions and/or the visual images.  Processing would probably be simple for them IRAF users that know what calstis and wavecal and the like are, for extracting the spectra, and the chance of a progenitor's spectra from archival Hubble data would be a bit of luck.

I've eyeballed some of the spectra in the fits file, you can see absoprtion lines in some of them, and emission lines too a smaller few.  There don't seem to be any derived 1d or 2d spectra archived anywhere from them, though, so folk have to roll their own.

Still, there's a lot of sky around here not covered too, neither with images and especially not with spectra, and the fields will be crowded and the images deep, so it all depends on some tight astrometry.

Cheers

John