[vsnet-alert 11345] Re: [VSS-members] RE: [AVSON] EK TrA Bright Outburst

Stan Walker astroman at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jul 19 07:17:33 JST 2009

Hi Peter,

A couple of old friends in these two stars.

I had a look at ASAS3 for EK but the data there are not very helpful with nothing which resembles an outburst. A sound reason for visual measures. I seem to remember that it was a confusing field, with another star each side of EK which made it hard to observe with PEP.

The GCVS gives a superhump period of 0.06492 which is attributed to Vogt and Semeniuk in 1980 but I thought that these had been observed well before this - probably before the Bateson article which was probably published about 1978 (the C76 was meant to refer to the year but they were always very late). We got a similar period at Auckland during one outburst, so there's not much doubt that they are supermaxima.

Warner was observing a lot of these stars in the 1970s and I thought he had picked up this one along with Z Cha rather earlier than 1980. But it was all a long time ago and the memory is vague.

Regards,
Stan