[vsnet-alert 12492] Re: [vsnet-outburst 11923] On the past standstills of WW Cet

Mike Simonsen mikesimonsen at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 13 14:35:28 JST 2010

The AAVSO light curves for the 1991 and 1992 observing seasons are visible here:
http://trunc.it/da4ln

There is no obvious standstill in the data for either year. In 1991
(left) the October outburst is clearly visible, but WW Ceti continues
to vary between 12.0 and 14.0 afterwards. In 1992 (right), there is a
slight gap in the regular outburst cycle, but nothing resembling a
standstill.

Admittedly, there is the hint of a standstill that may have occurred
during the seasonal gap, but the data does not meet the standards of
proof we have established for membership in the Z Cam classification.

The current standstill is undeniably more obvious, prolonged and
pronounced than any of the prior circumstantial evidence. And the
current standstill continues, now going on 90 days.

--
Mike Simonsen
Membership Director/Development Officer

One Hundred Years of Citizen Science