[vsnet-alert 14585] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] PNV J18110375-2717276

Rob Kaufman rob.kau at gmail.com
Mon May 14 23:01:00 JST 2012

I have it in images going back to Sept 2010 but can't track it further back
because I was shooting at smaller image size and less resolution before
that.  Quite bright in Oct 2010.  As Seiichiro Kiyota says, it needs to be
tracked back further.  Last night (13.567 May 2012 UT) I made it out to be
around mag 13.0 unfiltered (DSLR) in a shot taken at 200mm.  Faint and
quite reddened.

Here is just a selection of my previous 'rough' images of this object
(cropped from 55mm widefields and resized x2) with DSS plate overlays on
the position.  While there is crowding and the shots lack high resolution,
with a limiting magnitude of around 12.5 the resolution is sufficient:
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/PNVJ18110375-271727629Sept2010overlay.jpg
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/PNVJ18110375-271727625Oct2010overlay.jpg
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/PNVJ18110375-271727628Apr2011overlay.jpg<http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/PNVJ18110375-271727613May2012overlay.jpg>
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/PNVJ18110375-27172768May2011overlay.jpg
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/PNVJ18110375-271727627Oct2011overlay.jpg
For reference, here's a 55mm shot from last night 13 May 2012, with little
or nothing registering at the position (outside the limiting magnitude of
~12.5):
http://i727.photobucket.com/albums/ww271/Rob_Kau/PNVJ18110375-271727613May2012overlay.jpg
I'm assuming this would be very strange behaviour if it is a nova - varying
by less than a magnitude for over a year as far as I can see, and maybe
considerably longer.

Cheers -

Rob Kaufman (KBJ)
Bright, Victoria, Australia

The spectrum appears to have been interpreted as a nova in late decline,