[vsnet-alert 14866] Re: nova Mon 2012

Kirill Sokolovsky kirx at scan.sai.msu.ru
Mon Aug 20 19:41:22 JST 2012

Dear everyone,

let me also draw your attention to the fact, that Nova Mon 2012 is likely
the third classical nova detected in GeV gamma-rays
(ATel #4310; http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=4310 ) the other two
being Nova Sco 2012 (ATel #4284; http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=4284 )
and V407 Cyg in 2010 (Abdo et al. 2010 Science, 329, 817 ;
http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3912 ).

The gamma-ray emission of classical novae is new and very interesting
field of investigation. The big question: why do we see some classical
novae in gamma-rays but not other, apparently similar, novae is open.
After the 2010 V407 Cyg event, there was the assumption that
gamma-ray emission may be generated, if nova erupts in a symbiotic binary
system, through the interaction of the nova shell with the red giant wind.
But the recent identifications of Nova Mon 2012 and Nova Sco 2012 (that
do not seem to be symbiotic systems) with gamma-ray transients seems to
defy this assumption.

It would be great if someone could determine or at least constrain Nova
Mon 2012 explosion date with optical satellite observations. Also both
Nova Mon 2012 and Nova Sco 2012 deserve detailed photometric and
spectroscopic investigation.

With best wishes,
Kirill Sokolovsky