[vsnet-alert 15588] Re: IGR J18245-2452 in M28, possible bright optical counterpart

Erik Kuulkers erik.kuulkers at sciops.esa.int
Sat Apr 6 06:00:23 JST 2013

Dear all,

This is very interesting and would deserve an ATel, I think.

Best regards,

Erik Kuulkers

Op 5 apr. 2013 om 18:05 heeft Berto Monard <bmonard at mweb.co.za> het volgende geschreven:

> RE: IGR J18245-2452 (ATel 4925/E Bozzo and later Atels)
>
> Images of M28 were taken at the Kleinkaroo Observatory before and after the alert by INTEGRAL. They  show a brightened star at position (2000)
> 18 24 32.93 -24 51 59.6 (astrometric uncertainty of less than 0.5 arcsec (<0.03 in RA and <0.5 in Decl)) as measured against UCAC2. This
> star is located about 10 arcsec North of the clusters 'apparent' centre.
> Photometry of the unfiltered CCD images gives magnitudes of 12.70 and 11.76 CR on dates UT 2013 Mar 22.140 and April 5.138 respectively.
>
> It's not impossible that it concerns a new object coinciding with a previously existing star but it's very likely that this is the optical counterpart of the reported transient.
>
> Further observations will be carried out, including timeseries photometry to probe for any optical variability.
>
> Note: the fact that an image was taken just one week before the activities is coincidental  ;-) .
>

> Berto Monard / Kleinkaroo Observatory

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.