[vsnet-alert 16042] SSS J122221.7-311523 paper

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jul 24 09:28:03 JST 2013

   Here is our new paper.

===

arXiv:1307.5936
From: Taichi Kato <tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 03:31:44 GMT   (145kb)

Title: SSS J122221.7-311523: Double Superoutburst in a Best Candidate Period
  Bouncer
Authors: Taichi Kato (Kyoto U.), Berto Monard (Center for Backyard Astronomy
  Kleinkaroo), Franz-Josef Hambsch (Vereniging Voor Sterrenkunde), Seiichiro
  Kiyota (VSOLJ), Hiroyuki Maehara (U. of Tokyo)
Categories: astro-ph.SR
Comments: 6 pages, 4 figures, accepted for publication in PASJ (Letters)
License: http://arxiv.org/licenses/nonexclusive-distrib/1.0/
\\
  We observed the 2012-2013 superoutburst of the newly identified transient SSS
J122221.7-311523 and found that this object showed successive two
superoutbursts. Superhumps grew in amplitude during the second superoutburst
and showed a characteristic pattern of period change reflecting the growth of
the superhump. Assuming that the periods of superhumps during the growing stage
[0.07721(1) d] and post-superoutburst stage [0.07673(3) d], represent the
dynamical precession rates at the radius of the 3:1 resonance and the radius
immediately after the superoutburst, respectively, we found that this object
has a very small mass ratio q=M2/M1 < 0.05. The possible orbital period from
quiescent data suggests q=0.045, one of the smallest among hydrogen-rich
cataclysmic variables. The long orbital period and low q make this object a
perfect candidate for a period bouncer. We suggest that the peculiar pattern of
double superoutburst is a result of a low q and may be characteristic to period
bouncers.
\\

Contains:
 00README.XXX: 11 bytes