[vsnet-alert 16873] Re: Fwd: Re: Re: [baavss-alert] PNV J18250860-2236024: possible nova (8.7 mag) in Sagittarius

Brian Skiff bas at lowell.edu
Wed Feb 5 07:54:06 JST 2014

     Just a suggestion:  given that there are very many
folks running surveys doing ordinary imaging to find
transient objects, it seems as though a few might
try doing it instead with an objective-prism.
This sort of thing was done starting 120 years ago(!)
at Harvard, so it is surprising that no one seems to be
doing it now given the vast improvement in optics and
detector technology.
     Yes, it does not go so faint, so your chances of
simple discovery are lower, but "the spectrum tells all"!

\Brian