[vsnet-alert 24490] RX J0044.3+4134 (aka AT 2020plo): new SU UMa-type dwarf nova

Tonny Vanmunster tonny.vanmunster@gmail.com via vsnet-alert vsnet-alert at ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jul 29 17:38:11 JST 2020

Dear colleagues,

I have obtained additional unfiltered CCD observations last night (July 28/29) of RX J0044.3+4134, during a 4.9h session, using my 0.40-m f/5.1 telescope and SX-46 CCD camera at CBA Extremadura Observatory.

The resulting light curve clearly shows the presence of 0.17 mag regular superhumps, establishing RX J0044.3+4134 as a new SU UMa-type dwarf nova. Between July 22nd and July 26th, only low amplitude (0.03 mag), irregular variations were present. Last night (July 27/28) I reported the emergence of a much stronger (0.16 mag amplitude) signal, which looked like early superhumps, hence leading to my statement of a *likely* WZ Sge-type dwarf nova, but as I clearly mentioned "to be confirmed". It now is clear that these observations were actually showing the emergence of regular (not early) superhumps.

My July 28/29 observations reveal 3 superhumps with a 0.17 mag amplitude. A period analysis using the ANOVA, Lomb-Scargle, Generalized-Lomb-Scargle and PDM methods (Peranso 3.0, under development), yields a combined superhump period of 0.0655 +/- 0.0005d. The object slightly increased in brightness and was at mag 15.9 (CV) on Jul 29th.

I will send my observations to AAVSO, CBA and VSNET for further analysis.

Follow-up observations evidently are recommended to study the further evolution of this interesting object.

Best regards
Tonny

--
Tonny Vanmunster