[vsnet-alert 24139] Re: (cba:chat) ASASSN-15kd: new SU UMa-type dwarf novae

John.R.Thorstensen at Dartmouth.edu John.R.Thorstensen at Dartmouth.edu
Sat Apr 4 00:57:55 JST 2020

I took a spectrum of a roughly 17th mag star on this
position in 2017 March, and found it to be an ordinary G star.
This is very likely a chance superposition; the
CV evidently gets much fainter than this star,
so its range of variability is larger than it
might appear.

John Thorstensen

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020, Tonny Vanmunster wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> I have collected 4 nights of unfiltered CCD observations of ASASSN-15kd (2020, Mar 25/26, 29/30, Mar 31/Apr 01 and Apr 02/03), using
> my CBA Belgium Observatory and CBA Extremadura Observatory telescopes.
>

> During the first two nights, there was hardly any periodic modulation in the observations. However, the data from Mar 31/Apr 01 and
> Apr 02/03 show well developed superhumps with an amplitude of 0.18 mag, hence establishing ASASSN-15kd as new SU UMa-type dwarf nova.
>  Using 4 different period analysis methods [Lomb-Scargle, Generalized Lomb-Scargle, PDM, ANOVA] (Peranso 3.0), the combined superhump
> period is 0.0843 +/- 0.0045d. ASASSN-15kd was at mag 16.8 (CV ) on Apr 03rd.
>

> Observations will be sent to AAVSO, CBA and VSNET for further analysis.
>
> Follow-up observations are highly recommended to refine the superhump period and to study its further evolution.
>

> Best regards
>
> Tonny
>

> --
>
> Tonny Vanmunster
> CBA Belgium Observatory
> CBA Extremadura Observatory
> www.cbabelgium.com
> www.peranso.com

John R. Thorstensen
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Dartmouth College
6127 Wilder Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755

Office: 239 Wilder Hall
Phone:  603 646 2869     Fax: 1446   Hinman Box 6127