[vsnet-alert 24291] SS Cyg: fast variability at the fading part of an outburst

Keisuke Isogai isogai at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed May 20 19:49:33 JST 2020

SS Cyg: fast variability at the fading part of an outburst

As posted in ATel, SS Cyg is now brighter than usual in X-rays.
According to Nicer data that we took, this object shows violent and fast
variability in X-rays on timescales of seconds.  The X-ray flux becomes
higher and the fast variability is amplified now.  This may be QPOs (?)
and UV light curves showed short-term variability with the period of
less than 10 sec in its past outbursts.  It seems interesting to check
if it shows rapid variations in the optical band as well.
The current magnitude is ~10 mag.  Fast photometric observations
with the exposure time of less than 10 sec are encouraged.
Filtered observations are preferable.