[vsnet-alert 24582] ASASSN-20kc (aka TCP TCP J20034647+1335125): new SU UMa-type dwarf nova

Tonny Vanmunster tonny.vanmunster@gmail.com via vsnet-alert vsnet-alert at ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Aug 24 06:24:26 JST 2020

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to Patrick Schmeer for point out that the above object's formal name is TCP J20034647+1335125.

Adding more observations from my August 22nd runs, covering a much longer timespan, I have been able to refine the superhump period to 0.0576 +/- 0.0003d, a value aligned with the one published earlier today by Yusuke in vsnet-alert 24580.

As Yusuke points out, the object may very well be a WZ Sge-type dwarf nova, but this is something I can't derive from my observations (the superhump profile in my dataset looks very SU UMa-type alike). Additional observations over the next nights, showing the further evolution of the superhumps, will clearly tell and allow firm classification of this interesting object.

Best regards
Tonny

-----Original Message-----
From: cba-chat [mailto:cba-chat-bounces at cbastro.org] On Behalf Of Tonny Vanmunster
Sent: zondag 23 augustus 2020 22:07
To: cba-chat at cbastro.org; 'Taichi Kato'; 'ALERT, VSNET'; vsnet-campaign-dn at ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp; vsnet-newvar at yahoogroups.com; 'vsnet-outburst'
Subject: (cba:chat) ASASSN-20kc: new SU UMa-type dwarf nova

Dear colleagues,

I have been monitoring ASASSN-20kc for many nights since Aug 17th, and so far the light curve did not show a prominent periodic signal.

However, I just just finished analysing my unfiltered CCD observations of ASASSN-20kc, obtained last night 2020, Aug 22/23 at CBA Extremadura Observatory, using a 0.40-m f/5.1 telescope and SX-46 CCD camera under clear skies. Superhumps with an amplitude of 0.08 mag are clearly visible, establishing ASASSN-20kc as a new SU UMa-type dwarf nova. A period analysis using the ANOVA, Lomb-Scargle, Generalized-Lomb-Scargle and PDM methods (Peranso 3.0, under development), yields a combined superhump period of 0.0629 +/- 0.0003d. The object was at mag 14.9 (CV) on Aug 23rd.

I will send my observations to AAVSO, CBA and VSNET for further analysis.

Follow-up observations are recommended to refine the superhump period.

Best regards
Tonny

--
Tonny Vanmunster