[vsnet-alert 25001] Re: TCP J05552097+1410101

Denis Denisenko d.v.denisenko@gmail.com via vsnet-alert vsnet-alert at ooruri.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 26 05:55:00 JST 2020

It should be noted that in the parallel reality this variable was
identified 7 days ago during our small Citizen Science project "Search for
the dwarf novae with outbursts in URAT1 catalogue" that we are doing with
my students in our after-school astronomy classes. Everyone with the basic
knowledge of ADQL can submit an appropriate request to TAP Vizier. That's
how DDE 196, Rybka 1 and three more cataclysmic variables were found. We
were moving from the North pole southward and TCP J05552097+1410101 in
Orion could have been the next one in our list. But it went into an
outburst and was discovered in the real sky (so to say, "by brute force" as
opposed to "at the tip of the pen")!

Here's the light curve from Pan-STARRS data in r filter showing the
outburst on 2014 Feb. 21 (MJD=56709.345):
http://scan.sai.msu.ru/~denis/J055520+141010-PS1-LC.gif

Congratulations to Mike and Brandon Forslund at AHTS team on this
discovery! It is hard nowadays to grab the bright transient from the teeth
of robots like ASAS-SN, ATLAS and ZTF!

Denis Denisenko

Kojiguchi Naoto <kojiguchi at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote on Wed, Nov 25,
2020 at 8:31 PM :

AHTS-2020-003 = TCP J05552097+1410101 = AT 2020aaxi