[vsnet-alert 8754] Fw: DV Dra - new UGSU type dwarf nova - early superhumps detected

Daisaku NOGAMI nogami at kwasan.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Nov 23 13:07:14 JST 2005

Dear colleagues,

The outburst of DV Dra was confirmed by Gary (vsnet-alert 8751)
and Ken'ichi (vsnet-alert 8752).  Then, as expected, Tonny
Vanmunster finally detected early superhumps as below!  Its
current bad position (18h17m23.07s, +50o48'17.7") and faintness
of 15.5 mag make observations difficult.  Follow-up observations
are, however, strongly encouraged!

Best regards,
Daisaku Nogami

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:39:05 +0100
From: "Tonny Vanmunster" <Tonny.Vanmunster at cbabelgium.com>
To: "cba-news" <cba-news at cba.phys.columbia.edu>, <cvnet-outburst at yahoogroups.com>
Cc: Aavso-Photometry <aavso-photometry at mira.aavso.org>
Subject: [Aavso-photometry] DV Dra - new UGSU type dwarf nova - early superhumps detected

Dear colleagues,

Following Patrick Schmeer's detection of a very rare outburst of DV Dra
(announced through cvnet-outburst on Nov 22nd, I started an unfiltered CCD
photometry session on this target at 18h20m UT (Nov 22, 2005), using a
0.35-m f/6.3 telescope and ST-7XME CCD.

The session currently is still ongoing, but early superhumps (double-peaked)
are already clearly visible in the resulting light curve. A quick period
analysis using Peranso yields a superhump period of 0.061 +/- 0.002 d. DV
Dra therefore is now firmly established as an UGSU-type dwarf nova, and
almost certainly belongs to the class of UGWZ objects.

The object is around mag 15.5 unfiltered. The amplitude of the superhumps is
0.2 mag.

More details and full graphs of my session will shortly appear on my website
http://www.cbabelgium.com

Kind regards,
Tonny

Tonny Vanmunster
CBA Belgium Observatory
http://www.cbabelgium.com
PERANSO : The Final Frontier of Period Analysis Software
http://www.peranso.com

Support the AAVSO by clicking on the Amazon.com link at www.aavso.org before making your purchase. The AAVSO will get ~5% of the purchase price as a donation with no increased cost to you.