[vsnet-alert 8894] Is VSNET dead?

Mike Simonsen mikesimonsen at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 1 13:31:33 JST 2006

Is VSNET dead?

I find it interesting to note that P. Schmeer didn't even bother to report
his outburst detection of HT Cam to VSNET-anything.

Personally, I consider the total uninvolvment of Taichi Kato in 'CV goings
on' to be a tragic loss. But I have no way to change that. I am glad to see
that my vision for CVnet has taken hold and proved to be of some value, and
I appreciate the support from AAVSO, professional astronomers and the
prolific and talented observers who contribute to the CVnet lists.

If VSNET is indeed to provide the same useful and informative services it
provided in the past, who is going to take charge? Where is the direction
and authority?

Please let me advise you that the same kind of services for CV activity are
provided for by CVnet-outburst. ONE list for alerts and unusual CV activity,
as well as the more regular antics of active CVs.

Alerts and information regarding daily CV activity are reported to
CVnet-outburst and distilled to an "activity at a glance' section of the
CVnet home page. A quick scan will reveal if the TOO object of your choice
or interest has finally gone into outburst.
http://cvnet.aavso.org

The CVnet email lists only relate to CV activity. For other unusual stellar
activity there is BAAVSS-Alert.
Fadings of RCB, unusually bright maxima of LPVs and all other sorts of
stellar activity are reported here.

Is there any use in observers reporting observations to VSNET-obs if the
observations are not available online, and up to date light curves are not
publicly available?
Where is this data going? What is and will be done with it?

The AAVSO International Database is the largest and highest quality digital
database of variable star observations available. If you are submitting
variable star observations to any organization, I strongly suggest you
include the AAVSO in your recipients list. Thousands of researchers,
educators, and students have used the wealth of information contained in the
AAVSO database for personal and professional projects.  If you hope to make
a difference, and have your observations mean something in the grand scheme
of things, the AAVSO DB is the place for your work product to reside
permanently.

If VSNET is dead who will notice ten years from now?

Mike Simonsen

American Association of Variable Star Observers
http://www.aavso.org/
C. E. Scovil Observatory
http://home.mindspring.com/~mikesimonsen/index.html
CVnet Administrator