[vsnet-alert 8960] (fwd) Possible New Object in Vulpecula at 19 59 00.225 +26 41 14.83

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Jul 25 14:06:44 JST 2006

From: "Tom Krajci" <tom_krajci at tularosa.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:08:27 -0600
Subject: Possible New Object in Vulpecula at 19 59 00.225 +26 41 14.83

While doing photometry of HP Vul tonight I noticed a new star in my images
approx 1 arcminute south of HP Vul.  Here are the results of an MP Checker:
http://scully.harvard.edu/~cgi/MPCheck.COM

"No known minor planets, brighter than V = 20.0, were found in the
15.0-arcminute region around R.A. = 19 59 00, Decl. = +26 41 15 (J2000.0) on
2006 07 25.15 UT."

I've run astrometry using the UCAC2 catalog.  8 reference stars were used.
Results:

Object name  hh mm ss.sss +dd mm ss.ss Mag (unfiltered CCD, using UCAC2
photometry).
HPVulNewObj1 19 59 00.225 +26 41 14.83 15.75
Residual in RA:   000.483 [arcsec rms]
Residual in DEC:  000.084 [arcsec rms]

A review of DSS1 and DSS2(red) plates show a faint star at these
coordinates, but the DSS2(blue) plate does not show any star at this
location.

Blinking images that span 45 minutes in time do not show any apparent motion
of this object.

Time-series-photometry over 45 minutes shows a constant brightness.

I can provide FITS images or JPEG versions to those interested.

Request assistance in confirming this possible new object.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Krajci

PS.  My hunch is that it's a nova, because there appears to be a probable
faint red progenitor that does not show on the DSS2(blue) plate...but I am
unable to prove that.

Tom Krajci
Cloudcroft, New Mexico
http://overton2.tamu.edu/aset/krajci/