[vsnet-alert 8973] Re: T Leo disappeared

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Aug 12 15:04:55 JST 2006

Dear all,

   Wolfgang Renz wrote:

> What do you mean with "T Leo disappeared" ?
>
> It of course won't show up in a NL !

   Have a look at Table 2.  The object "T Leo" no longer exists,
and the star is now called "QZ Vir".  Given the particular historical
importance of this object (T Leo was discovered in 1862, following
U Gem in 1847 and well before SS Cyg), this decision seemed to me
a bit disappointing.

   Also remember that this star was once recognized as "constant"
or even "lost", but was visually "recovered" by Cragg (Robinson,
Ashbrook 1969, Sky & Tel 37, 128) -- I wondered how exciting the
sight had been.  The star has long lived, with its plain name
and Cragg's feat, within the mind of VS fans.  If the same happened
with a renowned "lost" comet, one might not attempt to reassign
a name...

Regards,
Taichi Kato