[vsnet-alert 9740] Fw: [AAVSO-DIS] Update on CV radio campaign

Daisaku NOGAMI nogami at kwasan.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 29 11:14:17 JST 2007

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:40:17 +0000
From: Elmar Koerding <elmar at koerding.eu>
To: aavso-discussion at mira.aavso.org
Cc: Matthew Templeton <matthewt at aavso.org>
Subject: [AAVSO-DIS] Update on CV radio campaign

Hello everyone,

I would like to present an update to the campaign to search for radio
emission from dwarf novae (alert notice 345):

Following your prompt reports that SS Cyg was going into outburst we
have triggered both the VLA and MERLIN. As SS Cyg was setting for the
VLA a few hours after the confirmation of the outburst we unfortunately
did not get onto the telescope during that night. However, we did get
observed once the source was visible again - and got a good detection.
This was still during the rise of the outburst, while the optical V-band
magnitude was roughly 10 (luckily this outburst had a slow rise). Thank
you for the trigger!

Following this first radio observation we monitored the source with the
VLA (currently 8 observations) and also obtained two continuous days of
MERLIN observations. Already these detections are nice as they show that
our earlier radio detection of SS Cyg is not fluke - but is
reproducible. It is yet too early to say anything further about possible
results, but it looks like we will obtain a good radio light-curve that
we can compare with your optical data.

We will continue to monitor the source in the radio bands as long as it
is visible. It will be especially interesting to compare the radio data
with the optical light-curve during the decline of the outburst. We
would therefore be grateful if you could continue your excellent dense
monitoring as long as possible during the decline.

Thank you very much for your help and clear skies,

Elmar Koerding for the CV radio team.