[vsnet-chat 7284] Re: Prioritizing CV targets

Seiichito Kiyota skiyota at nias.affrc.go.jp
Thu Mar 9 17:39:33 JST 2006

On 2006/03/08, at 14:54, Mike Simonsen wrote:

> Question #2- is the reason superhump recognition and period
> determination is
> so popular is because it can be done unfiltered? Isn't there more
> science
> that can be done by placing UBVRI filters on CCDs while
> investigating CVs?

One reason that some amateur prefer unfiltered photometry is many CVs
is too faint to multicolor photometry for amateur.
And some professionals prefer high-speed spectroscopy rather than
multicolor photometry.

I prefer V-band photometry rather than unfiltered photometry because
it is more tolerant for extinction change during photometry.

      Seiichiro Kiyota