[vsnet-chat 7294] Re: [baavss-alert] Delta Scorpii

Peter F Williams pfwilliams at onaustralia.com.au
Thu May 18 20:36:26 JST 2006

Hi Colin and All,

Following Colin's below note, I have just checked Delta Sco under slightly
hazy conditions.  I have not been making regular estimates of this star,
being uncomfortable with the brightness and with the separation of the
comparisons.  It is, however, clearly superior to both Beta and Pi Sco,
brighter than Epsilon Sco but inferior to Lambda Sco.  It is clearly fainter
than Theta Cen and brighter than Iota Cen.  The stars of Cen are better
positioned at this time of night.

Based on the V mags
Lambda Sco 1.63
Epsilon Sco 2.29
Theta Cen 2.06
Iota Cen 2.75

My estimates:
Lambda Sco (9) v (1) Epsilon = 2.22
Theta Cen (5) v (5) Iota Cen = 2.41

Mean visual magnitude to an ambitious 2 decimals:
STAR		YYYYMMDD(UT)	MAG	OBSERVER

SCODELTA	20060518.465		2.32	WPX

This is in good agreement with Colin's observation.

Best wishes.

Peter Williams
Heathcote NSW

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/