[vsnet-chat 7304] Re: [AAVSO-DIS] R Hydrae possible bright maximum

Stan Walker astroman at xtra.co.nz
Wed Aug 23 18:42:11 JST 2006

Hi Sebastian et al,

I've now got the SSP4 up and running - not the most user friendly piece of
equipment but I've managed to sort out the operating problems. I measured R
Hydrae and T Centauri earlier but the data have yet to be reduced. JH
filters.

My problem is that I am having to relearn VS fields and identify the target
stars. It would help if someone could tell me what Miras and SRs are bright
at the moment, say magnitude 8 and rising. The observing window goes from
about 1800 RA to 0200 and 0 to 60S. The SSP4 won't go through the forks of
most SCs and in any case you can't get an eye to the eyepiece for stars near
the pole.

Giorgio, I'd like to measure some of the stars you're looking at in BVRI so
let's now which of your targets fall in this area. As the year goes on I'll
extend the RA range eastward but it's cold this spring and the body doesn't
like it!!! But the Sun comes back across the Equator in four weeks so the
runs will get longer.

Regards to all,
Stan