[vsnet-chat 7423] Re: V503 Her

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jul 30 11:51:58 JST 2008

> Leftmost is V503 Her, which is in possible Symbiotic Star lists, but I'm not
> entirely clear if this object has been confirmed a Symbiotic star.  SIMBAD
> has it as a pulsating variable.  The ASAS3 lightcurve is interesting enough,
> with a strong eclipse event.

   A coincidence.  I noticed the same fading yesterday.  Ohshima-san
regularly observed this object just *before* and *after* this event.
It was an astronomical loss such an event went unnoticed real-time!
However, the fading doesn't very much look like an eclipse of
a symbiotic binary.  The object shows pulsation-like variations other
than this epoch, making the event resembling a deep minimum of
something like an RV Tau-type variable, the period is too long for that,
though.