[vsnet-chat 7424] Re: V503 Her

Ondrej Pejcha pejco3am at mail.kolej.mff.cuni.cz
Mon Aug 4 07:26:59 JST 2008

>> Leftmost is V503 Her, which is in possible Symbiotic Star lists, but I'm not
>> entirely clear if this object has been confirmed a Symbiotic star. SIMBAD
>> has it as a pulsating variable.  The ASAS3 lightcurve is interesting enough,
>> with a strong eclipse event.
>
>  A coincidence.  I noticed the same fading yesterday.  Ohshima-san
> regularly observed this object just *before* and *after* this event.
> It was an astronomical loss such an event went unnoticed real-time!
> However, the fading doesn't very much look like an eclipse of
> a symbiotic binary.  The object shows pulsation-like variations other
> than this epoch, making the event resembling a deep minimum of
> something like an RV Tau-type variable, the period is too long for that,
> though.

In fact, there was another deep minimum just before the one observed
by ASAS. This is hinted in the MEDUZA data (
http://var2.astro.cz/meduza/light-curves-ccd.php?star=V%20503%20Her&shv=Her
 ). For convenience of the reader, I attach a plot combining the ASAS
and MEDUZA data in the V band.

Best regards,

Ondrej Pejcha