[vsnet-grb-info 8479] GRB 091003: WHT ACAM observations

GCN Circulars gcncirc at capella.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 6 02:11:50 JST 2009

TITLE:   GCN CIRCULAR
NUMBER:  9995
SUBJECT: GRB 091003: WHT ACAM observations
DATE:    09/10/05 17:11:44 GMT
FROM:    Klaas Wiersema at U of Leicester  <kw113 at star.le.ac.uk>

K. Wiersema, N. Tanvir (Leicester), A. Levan (Warwick) and C. Benn (ING)
report on behalf of a larger collaboration:

We observed the afterglow of Fermi GRB 091003 (Rau GCN 9983; McEnery et al
GCN 9985; Starling & Beardmore GCN 9986) with the William Herschel
Telescope, using the ACAM instrument. We took a 60 and a 250 second
exposure in imaging mode, starting at 21:11 UT, October 4 (1.69 days after
burst).
The afterglow is clearly detected, with r = 21.33 +/- 0.11 (calibrated to
SDSS field stars), at position:

RA (J2000) = 16:46:04.687
Dec (J2000) = +36:37:30.76
with uncertainty 0.3 arcseconds.

We obtained spectroscopy with ACAM immediately after, at high airmass. Two
900 second exposures were obtained using the 400V grism and a 1 arcsecond
slit. Faint continuum emission is detected over the 4000-9300 A range. No
strong absorption or emission lines are detected. The detection of
continuum at 4000A gives a upper limit to the redshift of 2.3.