[vsnet-rcb 830] FW: [VSS] IO Nor appears to be fading

Peter Williams pfwilliams at onaustralia.com.au
Wed Mar 25 20:47:08 JST 2015

Adding vsnet-rcb for info.

Thanks, Andrew.

Regards

Peter Williams

From: VariableStarsSouth at googlegroups.com [mailto:VariableStarsSouth at googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Pearce
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March 2015 10:03 PM
To: VariableStarsSouth at googlegroups.com
Subject: [VSS] IO Nor appears to be fading

Hi All

The little observed RCB star, IO Nor, appears to be in the initial stages of a fade.  Last year before solar conjunction it hovered around mag 11.5.  I picked up it up again in mid February this year where it had faded to mag 12.5 and over the last couple of weeks it's faded further to mag 13.2.  I've got no idea if this will be a full fade and indeed what a full fade really means for this star as it just has not been observed before.

In the old days it used to be a pretty big deal when RCB stars underwent a fade.  That doesn't appear to be the case now, I suppose it depends on what interests the professionals at the time.

Regards

Andrew Pearce

WA