[vsnet-alert 8522] V589 Her Outburst - CCD photometry on 2005, July 2/3 at CBA Belgium Observatory

Tonny Vanmunster Tonny.Vanmunster at cbabelgium.com
Mon Jul 4 02:11:17 JST 2005

Dear colleagues,

Following Mike Simonsen's announcement of an outburst of V589 Her on 2005,
July 2.234 UT, I started an unfiltered CCD photometry session at CBA Belgium
Observatory, using a 0.35-m f/6.3 telescope and ST-7XME CCD camera. The
session started on July 2.9 UT and lasted for 3.6 hours. V589 Her was at mag
15.2 (unfiltered), and the resulting light curve does not show modulations.
There was however a fading trend (0.18 mag over the duration of the
session). I have placed the light curve on my website www.cbabelgium.com.

The current outburst therefor either is a normal outburst, or superhumps
still have to develop. Follow-up observations are recommended.

In addition to Nogami's statement below, please note that my April 2002
observations of V589 Her, during which I detected superhumps in the system,
were confirmed at that moment by Jerry Foote (CBA Utah). Full details on the
April 2002 campaign are available through my website (section 'Cataclysmic
Variables', 'CV observations 2002', 'V589 Her'). Using 841 observations from
Jerry Foote and myself, I found a superhump period of 0.0947 +/- 0.0005 d,
using the PDM technique. This turns V589 Her into a UGSU type dwarf nova
inside the so called 'period gap' !

Best regards,
Tonny

Tonny Vanmunster
CBA Belgium Observatory
http://www.cbabelgium.com
PERANSO : The Final Frontier of Period Analysis Software
http://www.peranso.com