[Vsnet-alert 8414] V Sge Campaign - Progress

Astronyx PC astronyx at astronyx.sk
Fri May 27 17:44:16 JST 2005

Dear observers and collaborators,

we have some news on the V Sge campaign.

First of all, thank You for Your great effort and very good data You are sending to us permanently.
And of course, this is another challenge for all others without some recent important observatioinal programme - please, join us!

The weather in Canada was not good during this week and we were not able to obtain the spectra. Nevertheless, the observations moved to Sunday and Monday, i.e. May 29/30 and 30/31, thanks to our friend there in Toronto! Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!

It means for us - PLEASE STAY WITH V SGE FOR A WEEK MORE, PLEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSE!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-) :-)

I know, it is already two weeks of our common photometric observations of this object. May be, too long for somebody. But in fact, the more data we have the more information we will be able to deduce after succesful time of spectroscopic observations. This star is the prototype of the whole subgroup of CVs - Supersoft X-ray Sources. There are three or four models of these systems and we don´t know yet which one is the one - simply because we have very poor photometrical and spectroscopical coverage for these stars.
Moreover, the star is changing its brightness on the scale of hours, that is why we need as much light curve coverage as possible to correctly interpret the spectroscopical data.

So, I will be looking forward to find some new data for a couple of days in may e-mail box :-).
I would like to show You some of our common light curves and results in the end of the next week.

Thank You again, Stelios, Gary and Tim, and also many thanks to all the Czechs from MEDUZA group!

With my best regards,
Karol Petrik
Hlohovec Observatory and Planetarium
Sladkovicova 41         tel.: 00421 33  730 1828
920 01 Hlohovec         fax: 00421 33  733 1912
SLOVAKIA                ICO: 360 88 269
web:  www.portcoeli.sk   e-mail: kpetrik at astronyx.sk
mobile/cell: Orange 00421 905  23 65 01
             Eurotel 00421 903  263 178