[vsnet-alert 8733] Re: re QY Per in outburst

Patrick Schmeer pasc1312-aavso at yahoo.de
Sun Oct 23 21:40:02 JST 2005

Another undesirable comment by someone who prefers to hide
behind temporary/anonymous e-mail addresses:

--- outbursts at fsmail.net wrote:
> On Sun Oct 23 05:34:47 JST 2005 Pavol A. Dubovsky reported
>
> > Long period SU UMA star QY Per is probably in superoutburst:
> > PERQY 051022.8285  14.2  DPV   14.1-1V5-14.7
> >
> >Clear skies!
> >Pavol A. Dubovsky & Chermelin 300/1504 mm
> >Podbiel, SLOVAKIA - www.vkco.sk
> >Slovak Association of Amateur Astronomers - www.szaa.sk
> >Member of the MEDUZA group - www.meduza.info
>
> On Sun Oct 23 10:34:45 JST 2005 (almost exactly five hours later)
> Patrick Schmeer
> gave the following, fully quoted, PRECOVERY _CONFIRMATION_
>
> >Unfiltered CCD observations by P. Schmeer, Bischmisheim, Germany:
> >PERQY 20051013.233 <182CR Scp
> >PERQY 20051021.363  144CR Scp
> >Instrument: University of Iowa, Rigel Telescope (0.37-m Cassegrain)
> >Sequence: Henden and Sumner (R magnitudes derived from V and B-V)
> >
> >The most recently recorded QY Per outburst (a supermaximum) started
> >between 1999 Dec. 23 and 28 (IAUC 7340).
> >
> >Regards,
> >Patrick
>
> In this case, rather than usual timeseries photometry, it is proper
> acknowledgement and accreditation that are strongly recommended.

This time I did not write anything about timeseries photometry.

> John Greaves
>
> PS (Most email clients receive as soon as you launch 'em, and the
> subject line is evident enough in Dubovsky's case.  A statement of
> acknowledgement of the earlier discovery would not have been
> untoward, albeit uncharacteristically conceding "discovery rights".
> Old Saying - "A change is as good as a rest").

In my message there is not mention of "discovery", "independent
outburst detection", etc.

Btw, here is another report on QY Per, which you may consider as
"PRECOVERY _CONFIRMATION_", too:
> QY Persei is in outburst:
> 10/06/2005 07:03 UT  <1723 CCDV
> 10/21/2005 05:28 UT  14.13 CCDV