[vsnet-alert 9660] 1RXS_J023238.8-371812 dramatic fading!

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Oct 12 12:25:23 JST 2007

1RXS_J023238.8-371812 dramatic fading!

   Greg Bolt has just reported time-series photometry on Oct 11.
The object has faded dramatically, about 2.8 mag within the last
2 days.  The start of the fading looks like to have been detected
the last run by Peter Nelson.  The superhump profile became more
irregular with fluctuations.  Taking Oct 1 as the start of the
present plateau (following a "dip"), its duration is 8-10 days,
which is remarkably shorter than those of most WZ Sge-type
dwarf novae.  The present phenomenon also looks unlike from
the "second superoutburst" of AL Com in that very regular
superhumps are present.  We know a very few examples of such
a short-lasting plateau in WZ Sge-like objects, e.g. LL And
1993 (Kato, PASJ 56, S135).

   The fading has apparently stopped, and we can expect further
rebrightenings.  Please keep your closest watch on this object!