[vsnet-alert 9667] Re: V455 And: late superhumps disappeared

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Oct 15 12:17:38 JST 2007

> On the other hand, PDM period analysis to the data from Oct. 2 to
> Oct. 11 shows that there is only one dominant period of 0.056311(22) days
> which is equals to the orbital period within errors. This suggests
> that late superhumps have disappeared.

   Note, however, PDM is not very sensitive to accompanying periods
other than the main period.  The seemingly present beat phenomenon,
as well as systematic variation of eclipse shapes, may support
the presence of low-amplitude superhumps.  This signal would be
detectable after more elaborate analysis.

   The eclipses were sometimes very clearly detected (unlike from
quiescent or mean orbital light curves), suggesting that some kind
of a discrete source (possibly from superhump light source?) is
still present.  This is one of reasons why we still need high-quality,
time-resolved continuous photomerty.