[vsnet-alert 10108] Re: outburst of HD 74771?

arne arne at aavso.org
Fri Apr 25 22:23:55 JST 2008

Howard E. Bond wrote:
> The 8th-mag southern star HD 74771 is a possible very bright cataclysmic
> variable, pointed out by S. Otero in vsnet-alert 8817.
>
> It appears that it may currently be in outburst:
>
> http://www.astrouw.edu.pl/cgi-asas/asas_variable/084434-3757.9,asas3,0,0,1000,0
>
> so it would be very important to obtain photometry and spectroscopy over at
> least the next several days.
>
> J2000 coordinates are: 08 44 34.0 -37 57 52

The light curve looks CV-like except for the amplitude.
My guess is that HD 74771 is not the CV, but that there is some
background object that is outbursting.  About the only way you
can tell is either a good seeing image, or else an astrometric
measure in outburst and quiescence.  Perhaps this is already
available through Hipparcos.
Arne