[vsnet-alert 10454] SY Cap: analysis of past outbursts

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Aug 22 10:30:16 JST 2008

SY Cap: analysis of past outbursts

   With the new type identification, we can now securely identify
the type of past outbursts (data from ASAS).

2001 May  13.2 2 nights, type?
2002 Apr. 13.1 >4 super
2002 Aug. 13.7 single detection
2003 Apr. 11 13.4 single detection
2003 Apr. 26 14.1 single detection
2003 May  23 14.2 single detection
2003 June 12 13.8 single detection
2003 Nov. 13.4 >5 super
2004 June 13.1 >6 super
2004 Sep.  2 13.7 single detection
2005 Apr. 13.0 >8 super
2005 May  31 14.3 single detection
2005 June 17 14.1 single detection
2005 Sep.-Oct. 13.0 >8 super
2006 June 27 ~15 single detection
2007 Apr.  4 13.3 single detection
2007 Sep. 13.0 >10 super
2008 Apr. 13.7 3 normal?
2008 Aug. 13.7 >3 super (current)

   The shortest interval between superoutbursts were ~200 d, while
there were intervals without regular superoutbursts.  The number
of normal outbursts is relatively low for this supercycle.
The object may resemble CI UMa, which relatively irregularly shows
superoutbursts with the smallest interval of 140 d (Nogami and Kato,
PASJ 49, 109) or SX LMi (Nogami et al. PASP 109, 1114).
Read these papers on rather unusual characteristics of these SU UMa
stars.  The same argument might apply to SY Cap, and we encourage
further intensive observation.