[vsnet-alert 10264] Re: NOVA OPHIUCHI 2008 No. 2 rebrightening!

arne arne at aavso.org
Fri Jun 13 21:39:30 JST 2008

Taichi Kato wrote:
> [vsnet-alert 10254] NOVA OPHIUCHI 2008 No. 2 rebrightening!
>
>> Leonid Elenin reported a rebrightening in V2671 Oph.
>>
>> JUN 06.3593  11.70V  ELE
>> JUN 08.3770  10.73V  ELE
>
>    Has anyone confirmed this rebrightening?  We have received
> somewhat discrepant reports (was reported much fainter visually
> on last night), and the spectra (June 6 and 12) provided from Ayani-san
> (Bisei Astronomical Observatory) were indeed typical post-maximum
> spectra of an Fe-class nova.
>
>    The discrepancy may have been a result of high reddening
> and different filter characteristics (or inadequate comparison stars?).
> Could Leonid Elenin present (on the web?) images of these observations?

I have data on June 6, June 7 and June 9 that all show V2671 Oph
around V=13-14.  It is very red, (V-Ic) = 3, so if
ELE was observing unfiltered (and not V as indicated), then
his measures would definitely be brighter than in reality.
Or conversely, he may be using incorrect magnitudes for
his comparison star.  In fact, Leonid uploaded a datapoint for
June 08.3838 to the AAVSO as 13.61V.
There is an all-sky BVRI calibration file available at:
ftp://ftp.aavso.org/public/calib/v2671oph.dat
and a full sequence will be uploaded for VSP today.
Arne