[vsnet-alert 9975] FWD from Sebastian Otero - AS 325 going into eclipse

da55 at Safe-mail.net da55 at Safe-mail.net
Tue Mar 11 02:58:16 JST 2008

FORWARDED from SEBASTIAN OTERO who's having some email address issues with some mail lists :-

------FORWARDED MESSAGE BEGINS------

The eclipsing ZAND star NSV 24607 = AS 325 (K2.5III+Be) in
Sagittarius (seems to be entering a new eclipse according to
ASAS-3 data:

<http://www.astrouw.edu.pl/cgi-asas/asas_plot_raw?185004-2624.3,asas3,0,700,350>

I think that this might be an interesting project for southern
photometrists although the star is still a morning object.

This is a very complex system. Note the different amplitude,
shape and duration of the eclipses. There is more than a couple
of stars there...

The mean magnitude has been changing over the last years but
maximum seems to have already been reached. The brighter the
stars the deeper the eclipses seem to be.

This event would be a good oportunity to know more about this
system. The hot star is a Be star and might be even adding to
the variability. Multicolor photometry would help identifying
which component is being eclipsed (although a gas cloud is
obviously being eclipsed too) More data and info about the star
can be found at: http://www.konkoly.hu/cgi-bin/IBVS?5608

A chart is available here:

http://ar.geocities.com/varsao/Carta_NSV_24607.htm

The period has been revised to 509 days after the 2005 eclipse
but the secular changes makes it still uncertain within a couple
of days. Also the total range is now V= 9.78 - 12.1.

Steve Howell (WIYN Observatory) has been following this star,
Steve, if you're out there, are there some news about its
nature?

No need to contact me about it, I just wanted to remind the
community of the upcoming eclipse!

Best wishes,
Sebastian.

------FORWARDED MESSAGE ENDS------