[vsnet-alert 10672] re new variable in peg - 2mass quiescence

bydra at Safe-mail.net bydra at Safe-mail.net
Sat Nov 8 06:11:52 JST 2008

Yamaoka Hitoshi quoted :-

2MASS   J=16.506, H=15.758, K=15.304

gotta remember that the 2MASS lower mag limits are around fifteen and a half for J and H and around fourteen and a half for Ks (which doesn't go as deep), and the quoted errors below these limits are often effectively meaningless.

Further, although I'm not sure on the details, I believe VizieR quotes some magnitudes that aren't churned out as standard or safe magnitudes by the formal 2MASS catalogue itself, but can be derived from much of the other data included in the full catalogue.  VizieR denotes these using red numerals if the html output is selected for the results.

That is, the above magnitudes may, or may not, be meaningless.

John