[vsnet-alert 11211] Re: re NSV 18024 and ASAS J150946-2147.7 and V1129Cen

Howard E. Bond bond at stsci.edu
Sun Apr 26 06:00:12 JST 2009

eruptors at Safe-mail.net wrote:

> In case peeps are missing this similarity :-
>
> NSV 18024
>
> <http://www.astrouw.edu.pl/cgi-asas/asas_variable/084434-3757.9,asas3,0,0,1000,0>

In regard to NSV 18024 = HD 74771, I point out that observations made during an
outburst in 2008 April were described by me in [vsnet-alert 10110], which I can
summarize by saying that the system is a visual binary composed of the more or
less normal HD star (spectral type G8 IV/V according to N. Houk) and a variable
companion 6".8 away.

Spectra obtained during the 2008 April outburst confirmed strong, broad emission
lines in the blue companion, which is normally at about 15th magnitude.  The
system is probably a physical pair, with HD 74771B being the cataclysmic
variable. It thus differs from ASAS J150946-2147.7 and V1129 Cen = HD 109962, in
both of which the bright star IS an interacting component.

Howard E. Bond
Space Telescope Science Institute