[vsnet-alert 10869] OT_J071126.0+440405 as a likely eclipsing polar

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Jan 1 12:20:56 JST 2009

> The phased light curve is available at the following URL:
> http://pics.livejournal.com/bigdenru/pic/00057rpw/
> It is typical for the eclipsing polars with a dip before the main
> minimum, flat bottom at phases 0.3-0.7 and a hump (about 1.5m!)
> before and after eclipse.

   I also agree that this object is an eclipsing polar that jumped
into a high state.

   The 2MASS color:

2MASS 071126.012 +440405.20 (2000.0) 15.448 14.913 14.484

   suggests that the secondary dominated in quiescence, indicating
the smaller contribution from the accretion disk/column.
The long duration of the "outburst" and the narrow, deep eclipses
are consistent with the polar classification.

   It is surprising that such a bright polar remained undetected
up to now.  The object may have spent most of time in low state
and its X-ray flux may have been very low.  The system may resemble
AR UMa, a polar with dwarf nova-like outbursts with a high magnetic
field.  Spectroscopic and polarimetric observations, as well as
multiwavelength observations, during the current high state are encouraged.