[vsnet-alert 11254] Re: re New flare star candidates

kstars at Safe-mail.net kstars at Safe-mail.net
Fri May 22 01:31:46 JST 2009

Last revision on this :-

The Calcium Hydride issue seems to indicate that it isn't stictly a main sequence star after all, but a "subdwarf" M star, so the absolute magnitude info likely won't apply.

That's low metallicity stuff.

And this might well explain the apparent B-V to J-Ks discrepancy, as these stars appear redder in B-V than in other colours, see this in general re spectral discernment of these objects (note high proper motion has been a strong selection criterion for red subdwarfs too), and the bottom paragraph in particular re colours.

http://www-int.stsci.edu/~inr/ldwarf.html

Reading the Mv for the red subdwarfs off of the bottom graph at the above url against the measured B-V of 1.6 and the distance shrinks to m-M ~ 0 ~ 10 parsecs distance.

The endpoint being, it doesn't necessarily need it it's spectrum measuring.  Unless someone wants to know if it's sdM, esdM or usdM, eg

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0004-637X/669/2/1235

I got there in the end...

Interesting star still (possibly nearby star possibly missed out of the standard catalogues, some low metallicity ancient Halo probably fully convective thing that's still chromospherically active, still with a magnetic dynamo, and "superflares" if the 3 mag amplitude is valid), and it makes a change don't it.  Likelihood of seeing another flare any time soon?  Bloody low.

Cheers

John