[vsnet-alert 13544] Re: SV Ari

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Aug 4 10:13:35 JST 2011

   Congratulations to Rod!

(We had a major network disturbance yesterday.  If your mails to VSNET
were rejected, please send them again)

> Interestingly, this object was observed at 12 mag. In this outburst,
> this object was detected at 15 mag and is still around 15 mag (now observing).

   My understanding is that Wolf's magnitudes in the 1900's were
systematically brighter by about 2 mag (this applies to other variables
he reported in AN).

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1905AN....169..415W&db_key=AST&page_ind=0&data_type=GIF&type=SCREEN_VIEW&classic=YES

   According to this discovery article, the faintest stars drawn in the
chart is 14.5 mag.  These stars are at about 16.5 mag in the modern scale.

1905.11.1  invisible
1905.11.6  12 (Wolf's scale)
1905.11.21 13.5

   We probably do not have to assume an amplitude of 10 mag.

   According to the AAVSO database, the object has been monitored since
the late 1960's.  I wonder what was the motivation then.