[vsnet-alert 13507] (fwd) V503 Cyg superoutburst & nearby variable stars

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Jul 15 15:55:34 JST 2011

   Forwarded message from Colin Littlefield:

Star 1 = HBH46-60, emission-line object.  Might be a symbiotic star?

===

From: "Colin Littlefield" <clittlef at alumni.nd.edu>
Subject: V503 Cyg superoutburst & nearby variable stars
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 02:29:40 -0400

Dear Dr. Kato,

I noticed on the vsnet discussion board that there is a thread about the =
recent superoutburst of V503 Cyg. I observed it several times and =
submitted my results to the AAVSO, but I also discovered two nearby =
variable stars at the following coordinates:

Star 1
RA: 20:28:14.435
DEC: +43:39:26.80 (J2000)

Star 2  (identified as 137 on the AAVSO finder chart)
RA: 20:27:41.959
DEC: +43:44:55.35 (J2000)

The first star is a very red star with both short- and long-term =
variation, while the second star is an asymmetric eclipsing binary. The =
coverage of my own observations is limited. However, I assume that when =
other observers monitored V503 Cyg, they also obtained images of these =
two stars since they are so close to V503 Cyg. Would you be willing to =
forward this message to the vsnet observers who observed V503 Cyg's =
superoutburst? I hope that if other observers check their data and send =
me their results for these two stars, I might be able to better =
characterize the variability. I would also be delighted to list anyone =
who sends me data as a co-discoverer when the AAVSO adds these stars to =
its VSX.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Colin Littlefield