[vsnet-alert 13653] Possible Transient in Scorpius

walcom77 walcom77 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 21:45:35 JST 2011

Hi All

Following the posting on the Central Bureau's Transient Object
Confirmation Page about a possible transient in Sco  (TOCP
Designation: PNV J16364300-4132460) and AAVSO Special Notice #251, we
performed some follow-up of this object  remotely through the 2.0-m
f/10.0 Ritchey-Chretien + CCD of "Faulkes Telescope South" (MPC Code -
E10).

On our images taken on September 07.50, 2011 we can confirm  the
presence of an optical counterpart with filtered  R-Bessel CCD
magnitude 9.1 (USNO-B1.0 Catalogue reference stars) at coordinates:

R.A. = 16 36 44.29, Decl.= -41 32 37.7

(equinox 2000.0; USNO-B1.0 catalogue reference stars).

According to VIZIER there is a 15.08 R1 magnitude star at 0.060
arcseconds from the transient position (USNO-B1.0 0484-0459316).

At the link below you can see animation showing a comparison between
our confirmation image and the archive POSS2/UKSTU plate (R Filter -
1997):

http://bit.ly/ojz76D

Our BRV image:

http://bit.ly/oKyFo6

With kind regards,

Ernesto Guido, Nick Howes and Giovanni Sostero
http://remanzacco.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/comets77