[vsnet-alert 15135] Re: 5th HST visit scheduled: CW Mon

Boris Gaensicke Boris.Gaensicke at warwick.ac.uk
Sun Dec 2 06:05:07 JST 2012

Dear All,

thanks to the intense monitoring that showed CW Mon to
remain in quiescence, the HST observations of this star
were carried out last night as planned. The UV spectrum
is a bit of a surprise: rather than the clean signature
of a white dwarf that we expected (similar to the
well-studied U Gem), it displays a complex structure which
suggests that we are looking through a fair amount
of material along the line of sight onto the white
dwarf and/or inner part of the disc. This will be a tough
one to model...

Best wishes,

Boris