[vsnet-alert 14714] Re: (fwd) nova candidate discovery - India

Brian Skiff bas at lowell.edu
Thu Jun 28 10:02:03 JST 2012

     This is indeed the well-catalogued red star, a Mira variable
in fact, IRAS 18322-1921.  It is not catalogued as a variable, per se,
but quite obvious. from the ASAS-3 database.  Probably the 'best'
coordinates are:  18 35 10.48 -19 19 29.8  (J2000) from the 2MASS
catalogue.
     The ASAS-3 lightcurve shows that the star gets up to V ~13.0,
but fades below the ASAS limit most of the time.  From a rough estimate
of the peaks, the period seems to be around 9 months, very typical
of Miras.
     Anyway, this is not a nova, and Mr. Sharma has caught a very red
star showing up extraordinarily bright in unfiltered CCD images ---
a common beginner's mistake.  Better luck next time.

\Brian