[vsnet-alert 14559] Re: [VSS-members] AG Car Unsteady DeclineContinues

Sebastián Otero varsao at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 13:37:22 JST 2012

Hi, Peter,

> The SDOR star AG Car has continued its irregular decline in recent months
> and based on my visual observations this star is currently near to its
> historically recorded minimum brightness based on the past 7 decades of
> data
> as displayed by the AAVSO light curve generator.

Yes, I noticed this fading too and that is also approaching the faintest
recorded magnitude.

The historical photometric minimum recorded was back in  with V= 8.11 on
May, 1987.

It is really weird how different response eyes can have.
I add the magnitudes I measured for the same dates to see how we are up to
1.2 mag. off !!!
I saw a 0.4 mag. fading while you observed a 1.4 mag. fading. Weird indeed!

I observe it with 7x50 binoculars that have a limiting magnitude around 8.5
or so on average nights in Buenos Aires and I never had trouble observing AG
Car even though it is fainter than normal.

Sep -----------    7.58
Nov ----------    7.51
> Dec    7.73     7.52

> 2012
> Jan    7.77      7.52
> Feb    8.12     7.64
> Mar    9.00     7.76
> Apr    8.81      7.84
> May   9.00

My last observation was on April 18 due to bad weather and illness :( I hope
I'll be able to observe it this weekend.

Cheers,
Sebastian