[vsnet-alert 16176] ASASSN-13bz and ASASSN-13ca (ATEL)

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Aug 14 09:01:28 JST 2013

   Two ASASSN CVs.

ATEL #5273							     ATEL #5273

Title:	Spectroscopic classification of ASASSN-13bz and ASASSN-13ca
Author:	J. L. Prieto (Princeton), B. J. Shappee, K. Z. Stanek, C.
		S. Kochanek, T. W-S. Holoien, J. Jencson, U. Basu, J. F. Beacom (Ohio
		State), D. Szczygiel, G. Pojmanski (Warsaw University Observatory),
		M. Dubberley, M. Elphick, S. Foale, E. Hawkins, D. Mullens, W. Rosing,
		R. Ross, Z. Walker (Las Cumbres Observatory), J. Brimacombe (Coral
		Towers Observatory)
Queries:	jprieto at astro.princeton.edu
Posted:	13 Aug 2013; 20:15 UT
Subjects:Optical, Cataclysmic Variable, Transient

We obtained low-resolution optical spectra of the bright transients ASASSN-13bz
(ATel #5267) and ASASSN-13ca (see the <a href="http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~assassin/transients.html">ASAS-SN
transient list</a>) on UT 2013 August 13.2 with DIS mounted on the APO
3.5m telescope. The spectra (range 3500-9600 Angs., FWHM resolution ~7
Angs.) show a blue continuum and broad Hydrogen lines in absorption at
z=0, as well as weak He I 4471 in absorption. The spectrum of ASASSN-13ca
also shows a weak double-peaked emission profile on top of the H-alpha
line. These features are characteristic of hydrogen-rich dwarf novae in
outburst (e.g., ATel #5195).

ATEL #5274							     ATEL #5274

Title:	Asiago spectral identification of the Bright Optical Transient
		ASASSN-13bz near M31 discovered by ASAS-SN  (ATel #5267)