[vsnet-alert 16258] Pre-Discovery Detections of the Nova Delphini Outburst (ATEL)

Taichi Kato tkato at kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Aug 24 10:28:46 JST 2013

ATEL #5316							     ATEL #5316

Title:	Pre-Discovery Detections of the Nova Delphini Outburst
Author:	Wren, J., Vestrand, W. T., Wozniak, P., Davis, H. (Los Alamos
		National Laboratory)
Queries:	jwren at lanl.gov
Posted:	23 Aug 2013; 19:09 UT
Subjects:Optical, Nova, Transient

Three RAPTOR full-sky persistent monitors located in Los Alamos, NM, and
Maui,
HI, detected the emergence of Nova Delphini 2013 (CBET #3628) at magnitude
10.1
at 6:58 UT on 14 Aug, 2013.  Our photometry of the nova shows a rapid rise
approximately magnitude 8.5 by 8 UT and then a more gradual rise to
approximately magnitude 7.5 by 14 UT (the time of discovery by Koichi Itagaki).

Our full-sky persistent monitors imaged the nova every 10s during this
time
period, a total of about 2500 photometric measurements before 14 UT.  Our

unfiltered images were calibrated to the Tycho-2 V-band catalog.