[vsnet-alert 15452] Re: (cba:chat) Next HST observations: SDSS1238-0339

John.R.Thorstensen at Dartmouth.edu John.R.Thorstensen at Dartmouth.edu
Thu Feb 28 18:48:28 JST 2013

Boris --

I'm at MDM with a camera; I took 3 x 90 sec exposures, biased and
flatfielded them and they were still full of pattern noise and
scattered moonight.  However, I could make out 4 stars, enough
to definitively verify the field with an astrometric fit (i.e.,
it didn't just "look like the pattern").  One of the stars
I could make out was sdss1238.

It was definitely fainter than the star about 75 arcsec to the
southeast (at  12 38 17.544   -3 40 23.40), which has about
17.1.  So I'd say the variable is defintely fainter than
17.5.

This was at JD 6351.86, about 8:40 UT on Feb 28 (also UT).

So, rock out!

4 degrees from the moon does indeed present a challenge.

Cheers -
 			John

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013, Boris Gaensicke wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> the HST observations of SDSS1238-0339 (V406 Vir)
> are coming up,
>
> Mar 1, 2013 08:30:05 to 14:04:33
>
> and we need a few more measurements tonight, as
> the go/no-go decision will be taken tomorrow morning
> to mid-day (EST).
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Best wishes, and greetings from a snow-covered
> Munich.
>
> Boris

John R. Thorstensen
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Dartmouth College
6127 Wilder Laboratory
Hanover, NH 03755

Office: 239 Wilder Hall
Phone:  603 646 2869     Fax: 1446   Hinman Box 6127