[vsnet-alert 15745] Next HST observations: GW Lib

Boris Gaensicke Boris.Gaensicke at warwick.ac.uk
Sat May 25 07:16:03 JST 2013

Dear All,

thanks to your very detailed monitoring of DT Oct, the HST observations
could go ahead, as it was unambiguous that the system was back
to quiescence. The HST spectrum shows that the white dwarf contributes
at best half of the UV flux, which may be due to the fact that we observed
it quite soon after the outburst - it would be great to get another look at
it deeper in quiescence, but this will have to wait for another occasion
well into the future.

The next target is an old friend, observed already three times
with HST: GW Lib. This is a WZ Sge dwarf nova, first discovered
in outburst in 1983, and initially thought to be a classical nova.
The second outburst  was recorded in 2007, and the upcoming
HST observations will show if the white dwarf cooled back
to its quiescent temperature, after being heated during the
outbutst. It is extremely unlikely that the star will show any activity,
but, we will need to demonstrate to STScI  that this is indeed the case
to have the HST observations being authorised.

GW Lib:  May 30, 2013 10:30:11 May 30, 2013 15:40:30

Best wishes,

Boris